Today I’m finally sharing the details of my trip this past fall to San Francisco and Napa Valley with the Zephyr Blogger/Designer Retreat, and I’ve also got an amazing giveaway for you! So make sure you read all the way to the end for all the details on how to enter!
For any of you not familiar with Zephyr, they are Zephyr Ventilation, makers of innovative and award-winning range hood ventilation systems. I spent two days with them, along with eleven other bloggers and designers, learning all about their top quality product line, as well as touring some beautiful showrooms in the SF design district and wine tasting in Napa Valley. The trip was a dream come true for a blogger who loves all things kitchen, design, and wine and food!
Zephyr Retreat: Day 1
We started our first day at the state-of-the-art Zephyr showroom in downtown San Francisco.
We spent a good part of our first morning learning all the details about Zephyr’s ventilation line. Here, renowned designer and architect Fu-Tung Cheng talks about his background, education and design process. Cheng, one of the most influential kitchen design influencers of the last 50 years, has designed a specialty line for Zephyr since 2005.
Let’s be honest, ventilation isn’t sexy, like high-end ranges or marble countertops. But what I learned is that it is equally, if not more important to the overall efficiency of your kitchen. Especially if you actually cook!
Founded in 1997, Zephyr has been at the forefront of innovation from the start. They were the first to offer some of the strongest, yet quietest ventilation systems on the market. Here are just a few of their amazing features:
• Clean Air Feature: turns hood on once every 4 hours for 10 minutes.
• Zephyr RF Remote Control: yes, you read that right – remote control! The RF remote control commands the power and light of each Arc Collection range hood from a distance of up to 15 feet away.
• Bloom HD LED lightbulbs: an industry breakthrough offering 25,000 hours of life, these bulbs are dimmable, and remain cool to the touch.
• DCBL Suppression System: this system offers decreased noise with increased power and efficiency, using 77% less energy, making 77% less noise, and delivering 30% more cfm than standard hoods. DCBL offers the quietest (virtually inaudible), most energy-efficient and best performing range hoods on the market. *Note: when demonstrating this feature, our instructor held up a piece of paper and it was immediately sucked up to the hood, however, he had been speaking before he did this and it seemed perfectly quiet in the room. In other words, when the paper was sucked up to the hood, none of us had even known the vent was on!
• Self-cleaning systems: the first in the industry to offer a completely self-cleaning vent hood. All I can say is, I wish I had known of Zephyr six years ago when I was designing my kitchen remodel!
To say I was impressed would be an understatement. I’m an avid cook, and as such, there is a lot of grease produced. A high quality hood would have made all the difference in my kitchen. The one I have now is not only as loud as an airplane landing, but seems to blow the grease and smoke out into the room rather than sucking it up! You can bet that I will be putting a Zephyr hood in my next kitchen, and I’ll be recommending them to any client doing a kitchen remodel as well.
Our group of 12 bloggers and designers with Tu-Fung Cheng in the San Francisco Zephyr showroom.
Following our education at Zephyr, we enjoyed some time touring some designer showrooms, and had some late afternoon down time. Then it was time to change, and we were whisked off to a wonderful dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in San Francisco, Boulettes Larder.
This restaurant sits on the edge of the water in the Ferry Building. Isn’t it so cute? I love the warm, cozy atmosphere and all the copper pots! And the food is delicious. If you have never been and have an opportunity to visit SF, I highly recommend it. It’s small, intimate and cozy. It definitely feels like an authentic Provencal bistro!
That view behind us? That’s the view of the water from the restaurant!
And as if that day wasn’t great enough, our next day was like a reward in itself! We were treated to a day of wine tasting in nearby Napa Valley (one of my favorite places on earth!)
Zephyr Retreat Day 2
Our first stop was the stunning Joseph Phelps Vineyards for a private tasting.
The building is gorgeous, as well as the surrounding grounds and the views.
Our next stop was Hall Wines. The day we were there was only a week or two after their terrible fires, so Hall Wines was donating 100% of their tasting fees to wildfire relief. The wineries and restaurants were all so thrilled to have us. Their business had been cut by more than half, and many were really struggling. It was nice to know that we were not only having a fun day tasting wines, but that we were helping to contribute to the rebirth of the area.
After our wine tasting we went to another favorite restaurant, Bouchon, for lunch and took this photo in a grassy area nearby. If you get a chance to visit the Napa Valley area, Bouchon is a must stop! It’s owned by Thomas Keller, the chef/owner of the famous French Laundry, and has great French bistro style food (at much less expensive prices than French Laundry!) And the bakery attached to the restaurant has the best pastries I’ve had this side of Paris.
I want to say a huge thank you to all the people at Zephyr who made this trip possible – it really was a dream blogger trip and I am thrilled to have been a part. To Jennifer for all her coordinating, and to Erica and Sarah for being the most amazing hosts! Every little detail was thought of, and the whole trip was such a treat from start to finish. Your perfectionism and professionalism is a reflection of a company that cares about its products and its people. It was a delight to get to know you, and to be associated with a company of such integrity.
And now for the giveaway details!
Zephyr Range Hood Giveaway!
Guidelines are as follows:
1. Visit Zephyr’s website and select the range hood you want for your kitchen. (Don’t worry, you can always change this later if you desire. And Zephyr will help you to choose if you want their assistance).
3. Leave a comment below with the style you’ve chosen and your email address so that I can contact you if you are the winner. A winner will be randomly selected on Thursday, February 28th. Please don’t forget to leave your email – otherwise I have no way of contacting you if you win!
Please note that Zephyr will gift the winner the range hood of their choice and will ship it at no cost within the Continental United States. The winner is responsible for the installation and any costs associated with it. *Content is only open to residents of the Continental U.S. No purchase necessary, void where prohibited.*
UPDATE: WINNER is Shannon Haynes! Congratulations to Shannon!
*This post was sponsored by Zephyr, but all content and opinions expressed are my own.*